Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Shadow


When the old lady at the antiques shop gave our daughter that puppet, we thanked her, and afterwards, didn't think much of it.  It seemed that we forgot about it until recently, when our daughter refused to sleep in her room.  When the dog refused to even go near that room, I figured that something was going on.

Well, as soon as I entered, I felt very strange.  I heard whispers in the corners and shadows dart here and there.  One particular shadow, which seemed larger than the others, seemed to be much more imposing and threatening.  It moved along, under the bed, into the closet, behind the toy box, and under the carpet.  It seemed to want to play.

I decided that it would be better that everyone leave the house and stay with relatives until the issue was solved.

Soon enough, the shadow's intentions became clear.  It became angry and violent.

It was when it confronted me in the den, I understood it's source.  It was clearly the form of that puppet.  I could see it's outline as it stood against the fireplace.  It's form against the wall was definitely that of the puppet, dragging it's strings and wooden sticks that are supposed to control it.

How could someone fight something malevolent?

I remembered the puppet itself.

I turned to run upstairs, and the shadow darted before me.

I ran towards it, and the shadow pushed things in my way.

I ran up the stairs, and into the haunted room.  There, I looked around for the puppet, but could not find it.  I heard silent laughing, as the shadow darted under the bed and around into the dark corners.

I turned and ran out of the room, determined to find it.

As I stood in the hallway, I noticed the shadow dart past a door, and race around a corner.  I followed it quick enough to see it pass through the door that led to the attic.  Of course, I followed it up.

The thing laughed as it dropped pieces of wood and other objects down the stairs.  It was clearly trying to keep me away.  I pushed and pulled at the door to the attic until I broke it open.

Near a corner of the top room, there was an old dresser, surrounded by old objects.  Sitting on top of the dresser was the puppet, with it's arm draped over the wooden sticks that controlled it.

I took the puppet and left the attic.  I ran down the stairs, into the kitchen, and out of the back door, with the dark form running behind me.  I threw the puppet onto the ground and went into the storage shed.  Returning with lighter fluid, I set the thing on fire.

I could see the form begin to disappear as the puppet was reduced to ashes.

The following day, I told everyone what I had done.  My wife thought it interesting.  I asked her why, and she mentioned that it was a coincidence that the old antiques shop had also burned down at about the same time, and that the old lady hadn't been seen since.

No comments:

Post a Comment