Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

Left, rather than Right


"I dare you, any of you, if you have the nerve," I said to my trembling friends.

"No, I shan't, and no I shan't," they said to me.

"But the flowers there are so colorful, and the treasures," I said, "they seem to glow with an unimaginable light."

My friends standing all about me remained undeterred.

"Well then," I said, "If I go, then shall any of you follow?"

My concerned friends looked at each other, and one after the other agreed to the test.  Then one ran off, and another, and another, down the dirt road to the village. Only my stoutest of friends remained at my side.

"Dear friend," he said, "rather than exploring the field, the distant barn, and the glade beyond, in which still resides that transparent fiend, shall it not be more agreeable to better visit our most favorite Inn? Where the finest ale and best bread is served?"

I stared at my stoutest of friends.

"When I return, I shall meet you and the rest at the Inn.  I shall pour gold and silver coin on our favorite table, for all of you to gaze upon."

My friend turned and walked down the dirt road.

"Well then," I said to myself as I crossed the forbidden fence and entered the fog.  The distant haunted building lay far in the distance, "great fortune awaits me."

"That was some time ago, and the descendants of my friends still stop at the road and gaze at the haunted building from a safe distance.

I hear them say things as: 'This is where grandfather's friend was lost forever', and 'Do you remember grandfather's stories about he that was foolish enough to pass the fence into the haunted place?'

How foolish I had been."



No comments:

Post a Comment