Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

That's Mr. Ghost, to you...

Not being an avid television watcher, I usually don't sit in front of the television night after night, partially because I am not a fan of goofy sitcoms and nothing-but-bad-news news casts.  Like many in this age, I Google my news and Netflix my movies.  I have to admit that on occasion I do watch programs like Ghost Hunters and UFO Hunters.  Whether or not the hosts and teams of those shows actually "find" something or if their projects are just developed for "entertainment purposes," I admit that they are fun to watch.

This very short story was inspired by an episode that I watched.

-----
I stepped of the bus at the corner of the famous Green Marble Street.  The surrounding neighborhood was just as the brochure had described it, down to the photographs and even the lighting in the photographs.  Walking along, I used the map to guide me to the next corner where the establishment of establishments stood.  It was the place where the most avid of persons make a trip from all over the world to experience.
I had finally arrived.  After all of this time, I was finally standing across the street from that famous place.  I had told myself that if there is anything that I absolutely had to do, more than anything else in the world, was to make a trip to eat at this, the most famous of establishments.
I was destined to come and be here at least once.  To eat here was my ultimate goal, and if I was lucky, to be joined for dinner by the most famous of long-time patrons, well, that would make for the ultimate of life's accomplishments.  I was eager to begin my experience, so after a few moments of reading the address in the brochure, and then re-reading the address on the establishment's window, I crossed the street.
I pulled the antique-looking door open and entered, a small bell signaled my entry into the famous place.  A good-looking woman came over to me, and with a smile, motioned over to a table.  "Good day," I said to her.  "Good day," she said back.  "Would you like to see our menu?" she asked. I said yes, and soon was looking over the most famed of their available items.
I gave her my order, which happened to be their most well-ordered item on their menu, and she quickly wrote it down.
"Do you think that your famous patron will visit today?" I asked her.
"Well, we had a visit some days ago, and two tourists who were passing through, just happened to be here.  After a few moments, they struck up a conversation.  They spoke for some time, over our delicious t-bone dinner.  In older days, the right people, who had the right intentions, would often receive a surprise visit.
But that was in the older days.  These days, only few people receive a visit, and usually they only consists of tourists, younger ones and those of the older generations.  I think that certain people, referring to those who are known and expected, and who usually seek out a visit for the sake of fame and profit, very rarely get the opportunity to enjoy such a surprise visitation." she said with a smile.
"Well," i said, "I came here all the way from home to try the famous t-bone dinner, as well as, I have to admit, the hope of enjoying a bit of a conversation with your most famous of patrons.  I don't really want to use the situation to become famous for it myself, or to sell the story of my experience, or anything else like that."
She smiled again. I watched her as she walked through a door, which according to the brochure was the famous kitchen.  I sat there, watching people walk past.  I also looked around at the many antique-looking objects that were all over the walls and shelves and corners of the establishment.
Soon enough, she came back with the much described and famed t-bone dinner of t-bone dinners.  I had just started, when I heard the small bell signaling someone entering through the front door.  I heard footsteps behind me, and then the creaking of a chair as the person sat down.
The young woman came back through the kitchen door.
“Good day sir,” she said happily. “Would you like the usual?”
“Yes, thank you Colleen.” The voice said.
After a few minutes, the man stood and came over to my table.
“May I have a seat?” the man said.
Happy for the company, I agreed. “Yes, join me over a good dinner.” I said to him.
The man sat down and we conversed for many minutes, until Colleen, the young woman brought him his t-bone dinner.
“I have to say, sir, that you chose the best item on the menu.” the man said.  Out of being respectful, I had stopped eating until the man had his t-bone served before continuing.
“Where are you from, sir?” he asked.
“I’m from the mid-west.” I said.  “I’ve been dreaming about visiting this place for some time.  I saved my money and counted the months.  Finally, my vacation time came along, I bought my ticket, and here I am.”
“Is that the only reason that you made your long anticipated of visits to the most famous of old-time establishments?” he asked with a smile.
“Well, I have to admit that there was also another reason that I came here, rather than visit any other storied place in the country.  I also came here in hopes of receiving a visit from the most famous of patrons that ever visited this place.  I have to say, that that most famous of persons is probably the reason why this place is so well known.  Well, that and the t-bone dinner.”
The man smiled.
We spoke for some time, as people passed outside, and mid-day turned to late evening.
Finally, the man excused himself.
“Well sir, that was the most delicious of t-bone dinners, the best in the country.” he said as he stood.  “I enjoyed our conversation as well, but now I must go.”
I thanked him for the company.
“Thank you sir,” I said.  “I have to say that the fame and description of this t-bone dinner and of this place lived up to the best of expectations.  I have to come back one day to relive this good day.”
The man excused himself, placed a gold coin on the table and left the establishment.
I listened as the tiny bell rang for a moment and then stopped.
It was silent in the establishment until Colleen returned to take away the plates and utensils.
I stood and stretched, readying myself to leave the establishment and check into the hotel two blocks south of there, according to the brochure.  
“How was your visit to our place?” she asked with a smile.
“It was fine, just fine.  The t-bone is as delicious as was described. But...”
“But what?” she asked as she held the plates in her hands.
Well, I was hoping to meet the most famous patron.  I was hoping to meet the original owner of this establishment.  They say that after two-hundred years, he visits sometimes.  It would have been really nice to meet a two-hundred year old ghost and get his opinion of things.  There are so many questions that I could ask him.  If he would have come by, I could have even asked him for his t-bone recipe.  Well, maybe next year.” I said dejectedly. 
Colleen just smiled.
“What do you mean, you spoke with him for hours.” She said with a smile, then disappeared through the kitchen door.

No comments:

Post a Comment