Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Excerpt of: Mr. Cobbler's Paradise




The elderly man looked angry, as he turned to stare at the ceiling.  After a few moments, he looked at the younger patient again.
“Who are you?” the elderly man asked, “are you one of those people looking to sue someone?  I heard that some people look for crime victims to make money off of other people or companies.  I don’t like that!”
The younger man could feel anger in the elderly crime victim’s voice.  Clearly, he had heard, and perhaps even seen many negative things that opportunistic criminals do in order to exploit the elderly.
“I’m sorry sir, I’m not a, uh, ‘ambulance chaser’ or anything like that.  I’m just a victim like you are.  I’m just a man that was shot for walking along.” the younger man said, “I just arrived in this city, and already I hate it.”
The elderly man looked at him; the response from the young stranger was something that he could relate to.  
“So you were shot too, eh?” the elderly man said, “I was shot in my shoulder by some stupid jerk.  He was probably on a drug or something like all of the other junkies like him are!”
The young man listened.
“Why does this city have to be so cold, and so full of useless killers, druggies, hookers, and all of that?  You can’t even go to the corner store to get something, without one of them pushing you, demanding money, and smelling of stink!  They’re everywhere! There are so many of them!” the elderly man said, angry frustration in his voice.
The two men’s attention was caught by an altercation at the far end of the hallway.  Frustrated with waiting, one of the other patients stood, and walked to the doors at the far end of the hallway.  He pushed at the doors, and looked in.

No comments:

Post a Comment