Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

The Bog Witch


"Yes, my grandson, it is true!" the elderly man said as he brushed his gray beard.

The boy sat transfixed at his grandfather's admission.

"the old stories that you heard from the others are true, and by my judgement, it seems that you are now old enough to know." the old man added.

The boy stopped throwing stones into the river, and turned and stared at his grandfather.

"Well then, the stories about the old witch are true; she was once a villager that chose to practice mysterious things.  She learned how to conjure dark things from dark places, and send them out to do mischief, and other sorts of things like that. Oh, I knew that.  It's been common knowledge amongst my friends for a long time.  You're not telling me anything that I or my friends don't already know" the boy replied.

The old man saw a sense of "smirkiness" in his grandson's face.

"Grandfather, if I may tell you something, we were in the bog two nights ago!" the boy confessed.

The elderly man sat staring.

"Yes, it is true!" the boy said with a grin, "in fact, we go into the bog quite often, my friends and I, we go in search of the old witch!  Although, we've never actually found anyone in that festering place."

Disbelief replaced disappointment in the old man.

"You go into the bog?" the old man asked, "you go in search of the witch?"

The boy smiled.

"Yes grandfather, we do.  I have to say, that the old stories that you and the others tell at the inn, well, they are nothing more than old tales.  They are no more ghostly or dark as the shadow that now crosses the trees on this fine fall day!" the boy said, confidently.

"If any traveler were to stop at the inn and hear those old men's tales, well, he would receive nothing more than a quiet laugh at the listening of it.  He may find it enjoyable for a time, but nothing more," he added.

The old man remained sitting as his grandson stood.  The boy threw one last stone into the river.

"Well grandfather, I've had fun.  I have to tell you, that you spend too much time with those other storytellers.  You have to start spending time with others who aren't so confused!" the boy said with a laugh.

The old man watched him leave.

"Well, my grandson, perhaps it may be time that you meet the old witch," the old man said to himself, "perhaps it may be time that she teach you, and your brave little friends, something about… respect."



No comments:

Post a Comment